5.03.2005

Can I join the Red Army?

You'll Never Walk Alone

Rich made fun of me yesterday for my enthusiastic support of Liverpool (Go Reds!) in tonight's Champions League semi-final against Chelsea. Apparently, one doesn't so much support Liverpool, but rather denigrates their opponents. I compared this to my vote for John Kerry last year.

Everyone who knows me knows what a fan of football I am--which is to say, not at all. In fact, the only reason I care either way is because Rich would never forgive me if I didn't display at least a modicum of excitement tonight. So, rather than wax poetic about some mythic story about the little-team-that-could, I'm just going to entertain you with some funny quotes from former England manager Terry Venables--frankly, these are much more interesting to me than actually watching tonight's match!



** This has got to be the greatest quote of all time.

annamaria at 12:29 PM

2 spoke

2 Comments

at Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:17:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that a couple of those are actually Kevin Keegan quotes, but to be honest, all England football managers are as thick as pigshit, so it could really have been any of them! Anyway, here are some more for your amusement...

"They're the second best team in the world and there's no higher
praise than that."

"If I had a blank piece of paper there'd be five names on it"

"England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are
second to none."

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw."

"I don't think there's anyone bigger or smaller than Maradona."

"The 33 or 34 year olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful."

"I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is."

"Chile have three options: they could win or they could lose."

"He's using his strength and that is his strenth, his strength."

"Gary always weighed up his options especially when he had no choice."

"The tide is very much in our court now."

"I'd love to be a mole on the wall of the opposition's dressing room at half time."

"They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Heighway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different. They are both called Steve."

"In some ways, cramp is worse than having a broken leg. But leukaemia is worse still. Probably."

"Goalkeepers aren't born today until they're in their late 20s or 30s and sometimes not even then. Or so it would appear. To me anyway.Don't you think the same?"

"The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left out of the starting line-up today. There were others as well."

"The ref was vertically 15 yards away. He has a moustache."

"It's like a toaster, the ref's shirt pocket. Every time there's a tackle, up pops a yellow card. I'm talking metaphysically now of
course."

"The game has gone rather scrappy as both sides realise they could win this match or lose it or draw it even."

"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game."

"That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong."

"You'd think the Moroccans would have learnt their lesson by now. You can't win games without scoring goals."


:)

 
at Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:18:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and you do support Liverpool - it's just that abusing the opposition (often in the form of amusing re-workings of popular songs) is an integral part of that support.

Just wanted to clear that bit up! :)

 

Post a Comment