6.07.2005

I don't even know where to start.

This story, believe it or not, actually makes me so furious that I don't know what to say.

Apparently the Pope isn't going to prance around the gay subject when he discusses it, lightly condemning it or giving it a shame-shame hand gesture.

No, no.

He's going to say some things that are so outlandish that it makes the condemnation actually hilarious (to those who aren't on the Conservative Left, drooling as they reply "yesssss masssster" to his decree).

To the point: Pope Benedict condemned same-sex marriage as fake and as expressions of "anarchic freedom" that puts the family in danger.

Which family is this? Is it like THE family? Like some kind of mobster or gangster family? I can just see Don Vito Corleone whispering, "It's putting the family in danger. It must be taken care of."

Or maybe it's just a conversation that happens over at Annamaria's house.



But the Pope continues! Not only are the gays threatening the world, but divorce, artificial birth control, trial marriages, free-style unions? Condemned. Condemned. Condemned. Condemned.

In a clear reference to contraception, the Pope said couples went against the nature of love itself when they "systematically shut off" the possibility of "the gift of life."

The nature of love itself? Apparently the nature of love wants you to have a bazillion babies. Is the Pope going to help pay for my billion babies? Or is the Catholic Church?

That's what I thought.

You can read global reactions to this global-sized douche here.

Labels:

Anonymous at 6:11 PM

5 spoke

5 Comments

at Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:02:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having spent a few hours last evening at a hardcore dyke softball game, I almost sympathize with the pope's "anarchic freedom" idea.

As when one dyke said to another, in mock anger, "Eat me."
Dyke 2: "I would but I'm afraid you'd like it too much."
Dyke 1: "I would like it cuz I haven't been eaten in a while."

All of this as one walked by and the other sat beside the rest of us, as if they were the only two nasty girls in the room.

Cut to me and Gaby, exchanging looks that could/should be read as "Our people, right?" Right.

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone. I wish the pope would learn that.

 
at Wednesday, June 08, 2005 12:36:00 PM Blogger annamaria said...

First, this:

"Or maybe it's just a conversation that happens over at Annamaria's house."

Totally uncalled for! :)

Secondly, Dan Savage wrote a great column about the Catholic Church's stance not only on homosexuality, but on oral sex, pre-marital sex, birth control, etc. You know, all the things us straight people like! The gist of it being that when the Pope condemns homosexuality, straight Americans listen; but start telling straight men they can't have blow jobs, and the Pope's words fall on deaf ears.

Besides, doesn't the Pope have anything better to do than lecture about sex? Seriously, you'd think there wasn't a war going on (one which the last Pope called illegal and unjust), or a humanitarian crisis in Darfur, or people lacking clean water and food all over the world. Certainly the Pontiff's time could be spent more wisely.

 
at Wednesday, June 08, 2005 1:38:00 PM Blogger Kurt said...

It saddens me when sides are so entrenched and not able to hear the other.
When the Pope's entire quote is read, I realize he is attempting to address, from the context of his belief system, the apparent absence of any absolutes for moral guidance. Anarchic can be defined as lawless or chaotic. When paired with freedom, it implies a "me first, me only and to hell with everyone else" attitude, of which Kerri relates wonderfully.

Unfortunately, that is a cold sterotype that many ignorant people believe is the norm for homsexuals. It is the same sort of attitude that makes people believe all undocumented aliens are beer swilling, stupid and lazy people in the US for the welfare benefits. My experience is the opposite on this (have you ever seen a Mexican with a "will work for food" sign?), but that is for another post.

Liberal and gay "spokespeople" spew equal amounts of hate and intolerance when they attack the "unenlightened, regressive attitude" of the "religous right."

I have never witnessed a more devoted or caring relationship than John and David (two friends of mine). David is a great father who is as proud of his daughters as I am of mine.

Perhaps we should take the approach that my brother told me Germany has. The goverment there performs all marriages. If the couple then wants a religous blessing, it is a seperate ceremony.

Taken as a whole statement, I agree that a "lawless freedom" represented by promiscuity and easy dissolution of marriages or live-in partners does not contribute to the dignity of human life nor does it lead to the satisfaction of a life well-lived. Been there, done that. A slut can be a man or woman, gay or straight. I am not impressed with them, nor do I think many people will esteem them as remarkable.

I'm old enough to have many friends on their "second" family, having traded in for a younger model or "trophy wife." To me, that's kind of nuts; I can't wait until my 50th anniversary party! I hope to invite John and David and I hope they invite me to theirs. But to those who traded in, I wish them happiness and peace. May all of humanity experience grace, then pass it on.

 
at Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:37:00 AM Blogger Kurt said...

Hey, your site is generating pop-ups now! Are you making any money at it? Maybe you can use it for cigarettes...

 
at Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:44:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to add, I think "me first, me only and to hell with everyone else" is a perfect description of the Catholic Church.

I'll take "eat me" any day.

 

Post a Comment