6.13.2005

Lynching sucks: Is it necessary to express it in a Senate resolution?

Today the Senate is scheduled to take up the very controversial subject of lynching. Supporters and criticizers of this resolution will certainly be present, expressing their views on the Senate apology for not acting to outlaw the practice.

Wait? Did I say supporters and criticizers?

That right, because no one openly supports lynching anymore. Unless you belong to the KKK, in which case you are a racist piece of shit and probably shouldn't be reading my blog. Because I hate you.

So, what's the point?

Yeah, I said it. What's the point?

I do grant the fact that an estimated 4,700 people (which I'm sure is much higher) were murdered in this fashion between 1882 and 1968. It sickens me. It disgusts me.

So why don't I care about this resolution?

It does nothing. Nonbinding resolutions are just that -- nonbinding. It would be like the Senate passing a law saying it was sorry that its members speed on their way to work. While I'm happy that they admit their wrongs, what does it do to serve us now, other than generate positive press for something that people today think is a nonissue (nonissue meaning that it is not terror or Brit and Kevin on Chaotic)?

If Emmett Till's family doesn't get anything from it, who cares? His murders still escaped justice. Then sold their story to Look for $4000. Awesome.

I just feel that instead of wasting time on a nonbinding resolution, do something about it. Go to surviving family members. Hear their stories. See the photographs. Say you’re sorry. Fucking mean it.

Or else spend my money working on policy that is actually going to accomplish something. Because while you Senators may have warm fuzzies from your symbolic action, I see it as nothing.

Anonymous at 3:04 PM

2 spoke

2 Comments

at Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:10:00 AM Blogger Kurt said...

I think I agree with you. I understand the desire on the part of victim's families to have their wounds salved and their victim status reaffirmed, and this makes the action meaningful to them. However, for the rest of us, it about the same as if Showtime announced this is the last season of Queer As Folk. For many, who cares? For others it only fans the flame of resentment that some people can afford cable while they can't. Most are probably totally ambivalent.
It's worth noting that when the action was making headlines in the 50s & 60s there was no special "hate crime" status. Most of society assumed that all killings were motivated by hate and that was wicked enough (it took the South awhile to come around). It will probably open another can of worms, but I am not sure why another person's life is worth more than mine, should we both be murdered. We both are dead. Both our families grieve and it is a waste of the precious gift of life, a gift another has no right to take.

 
at Wednesday, June 15, 2005 4:12:00 PM Blogger Kurt said...

Here's an OP-Ed piece from The Dallas Morning News on the topic.

 

Post a Comment