7.22.2005

Do I need to define irony?

When I said (twice) this week that I support the Patriot Act, I was only kidding!

The House voted to extend indefinitely
the anti-terrorist USA Patriot Act, while limiting to 10 years two provisions of the law that have become linchpins in the ongoing congressional debate: allowing federal agents to use roving wiretaps and to search library and medical records.

By a 257-171 margin, lawmakers who earlier Thursday had watched reports of attempted terrorist bombings in London, agreed to renew key provisions of the Patriot Act that were set to expire at the end of this year.

Yeah, thanks London! You might be the most heavily surveiled people on earth, but I bet no one's going through your library and medical records.

Then again, I didn't think London cops carried guns...what do I know?

annamaria at 8:52 AM

1 spoke

1 Comments

at Friday, July 22, 2005 12:13:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't carry guns as a rule, but there are special units that do. There are ARV's (armed response vehicles) to deal with major threats to public safety, and the anti-terrorist branch will probably be armed, but the average "bobby on the beat" carries nothing more than a truncheon - or "night stick" if you will!

 

Post a Comment