8.16.2005

Bustin' up a Starbux

I think this Starbucks used to be a Taco Bell


I hate the Concerned Women for America. I once joked with Rich that my animosity toward the CWA, and literally everything they stand for, probably makes me an Aloof Man for France. After all, CWA leader Beverly LaHaye (wife of Tim LaHaye, author of the Rapturific Left Behind series) once defined the Equal Rights Amendment thusly: "The ERA proposes the elimination of our God-given roles as men and women, resulting in the redefinition -- and eventual destruction -- of family." Yes, making sure that I don’t lose my job because I’m a woman will eventually bring forth Armageddon. And let’s not even get into how the Violence Against Women Act will cause families all over the country to collapse because men are no longer allowed to beat their wives with impunity. But I digress…

After spending years fighting against the ERA, VAWA, the NEA and, ahem, Harry Potter, the CWA has found a new enemy: Starbucks. Well, shit. I hate Starbucks, too. Seems I am going to have to go through a conversion, and actually start drinking their bitter fucking coffee. Of course, I'm not contrarian enough to simply start imbibing Frappuccinos because the CWA implores me not to; no, I'm going to do so because, like Starbucks, I think Armistead Maupin is pretty fucking cool:

click to enlarge photo
The censored bit reads "damn."
Yes, the CWA is offended by the word damn.


According to CWA, this cup "blatantly pushes the homosexual agenda." This cup will bring the downfall of civilization. This cup will turn your children into sodomites and bull-dykes, even though it can barely manage to keep my coffee warm for longer than five minutes.

Now, if the CWA and their ilk want to boycott Starbucks, I say go for it. After all, it will make the lines shorter and decrease the amount of time I have to spend around the distressed and oh-so-depressed emo boys who make my Caramel Macchiato. But can't they find a better reason than this? It's a cup. With a quote. By a gay man. Fuck--do these people read Shakespeare? Appreciate the Sistine Chapel? Guess what--Shakespeare had a male lover and Michaelangelo was a flaming fucking queer. Get the fuck over it!

A Venti of his choice to Brad R. of Sadly, No! for the alerting us to this prime example of Wingnuttery.

Labels:

annamaria at 10:19 AM

1 spoke

1 Comments

at Wednesday, August 17, 2005 7:33:00 AM Blogger annamaria said...

Yeah, even my uber-Christian siblings allow their kids to read Harry Potter. Of course, my sister is a librarian, so she gets really upset at any attempt to stop kids from reading!

But they're Lutheran...maybe that makes a difference? :)

 

Post a Comment