1.24.2006

Happy Birthday to me....

...and Kerri!

Last year, January 24th was declared the most depressing day of the year by a British psychologist. Gee, thanks. As if getting older isn't depressing enough. And this birthday is pretty damn depressing, folks. You see, yesterday I was in Los Angeles, basking in the sun and heat, and today I am at work and it snowed. Snow, people! It was in the 60s in LA and people were acting like they were living in the arctic.

LA was wonderful. My dear friend Clint was an extraordinary tour guide, taking me to such wonderful places as Skid Row and the Sunset Strip. No studio tours for this Detroit girl!

Please excuse the grainy photo from my cheap camera phone


We saw Colin Meloy on Saturday night, and he managed to live up to all of my expectations. He's as quirky and adorable as I want my nerdcore rockstars to be, adorning his stage with a small table filled with useless bric-a-brac. There was a skull named Shelley (Clint informs me that the skull was actually named Shirley, I mean Sheryl), a small model boat named Maya Angelou, and a plushy sheep that we in the audience dubbed Erik-with-a-K. I'm wondering if he's going to add other tchochkies as the tour progresses. The tour only CD (Colin Meloy Sings Shirley Collins) is mine, mine, mine and you can't have it (oh, alright, I suppose I can make some copies for evaluation purposes only; Capital Records please don't sue). Colin assured us that any fear that my dear Decemberists have sold out should have been alleviated when he hand-folded 3,000 copies of the tour CD. Is it terrible that the fangirl in me thought "Omigod! Colin totally touched this CD!!!!"

Don't answer that question, I'm fully aware that I am so unbearably uncool.

Okay folks, I promise less self-centered posts this week, after I finally wade through the pile of work that was waiting for me on my desk when I got in this morning. I really wish I was still in LA.

PS--Clint, email me those photos you took at the show, mine suck!

annamaria at 8:58 AM

2 spoke

2 Comments

at Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:30:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

the skull's name was Shirley.

and those photos and video are on the way.

-clint

 
at Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:15:00 PM Blogger annamaria said...

Okay, the name has been updated (twice!) since we both have terrible memories.

 

Post a Comment