2.08.2006

Mama G

Well, it’s been an interesting week around Casa de Genovese. On Friday afternoon, my mother was rushed to the emergency room complaining of chest pains and shortness of breath. She has a history of hypertension and atrial tachycardia, so the fear was that she was having a heart attack. Two EKGs ruled out heart attack, though her blood pressure was through the roof. She was admitted overnight, and given a stress test on Saturday. The tests revealed an abnormality, and a cardiac catheterization was ordered. She underwent the catheterization on Monday morning (apparently hospitals don’t perform these on the weekend for some completely asinine reason), and her doctor discovered that she had 80% blockage in her main artery—had it gone undetected any longer, she probably would have had a heart attack within months. Mama G had angioplasty and a stent was inserted to keep her arteries open and clear. She had been complaining of chest pains and dizziness off and on for a few months now, and the doctors are confident that these symptoms should now dissipate, if not completely disappear. She’s home now and doing well, but needless to say she gave us all a bit of a scare.

I’ve spent everyday since Friday at the hospital (which had a surprisingly decent cafeteria) and I’m beat. I’ve taken some time off work so I can spend some time with her—mostly to make sure that she sits down for once and lets someone else do the housework. My mother is a dynamo with a bum heart, so I can only imagine what she’ll do with a fully functional one!

So, you’ll excuse me if I’m not up to my normal level of snarkiness for a while; I guess I’ve realized that I’ve got more important things to attend to! Of course, with Mom’s new excess energy, I’m sure we’ll be fighting about something very stupid very soon and my usual cynicism will return in full force!

annamaria at 9:52 AM

4 spoke

4 Comments

at Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:55:00 AM Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

I'll remember both you and your mom in prayer.

 
at Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:39:00 AM Blogger annamaria said...

Wake, thank you. Mama G has been feeling much better, and is looking forward to her first allowed outing on Sunday--to go to Church, of course! :)

 
at Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:47:00 PM Blogger Dane meets Simone said...

hey, nice pic. ;)

i can't pray, i'm afraid. is it enough to care?

 
at Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:45:00 PM Blogger annamaria said...

Caring works. :)

Clint took that picture of me at the Pig'n Whistle on Hollywood Blvd. They gave me a Coca-Cola in a glass bottle with a really long straw...that's my attempt at looking dreamy! I am fully aware that I failed.

 

Post a Comment