7.24.2006

Monday Music Blogging


I’ll start with the news that makes me only moderately piss-my-pants excited: New Scissor Sisters! Courtesy of the wonderful Dodge, check out the first single off their upcoming release, Ta Dah: I Don’t Feel Like Dancing. [Right click, save] The first time I heard this song, I was positive they were going to break into “Oh What a Night.” Fabulous.


And now onto the news that makes me so happy I’ve already begun to plan road trips throughout the Midwest just so I can revel in Colin Meloy’s adorableness for days on end: Decemberists tour dates! The Decemberists’ Relatively Unobtrusive e-Missive (RUeM) landed in my mailbox yesterday, and confirmed that the released date for The Crane Wife is October 3rd, and the tracklisting is as follows:

1. The Crane Wife 3
2. The Island
-Come and See
-The Landlord's Daughter
-You'll Not Feel the Drowning
3. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)
4. O Valencia!
5. The Perfect Crime #2
6. When the War Came
7. Shankill Butchers
8. Summersong
9. The Crane Wife 1 & 2
10. Sons and Daughters

Want a preview? Stream it here and select date: July 22nd and time 6:23 p.m. Seattle’s KEXP was kind enough to play the first single off the album, the epic “The Island.” Pitchfork has the review. Also, check out the Decemberists’ MySpace page for a (relatively short) demo of “The Tain.”

Finally, here are the tour dates:

08-23 Seattle, WA - Woodland Park Zoo
08-26 Salem, OR - Oregon State Fair (Pet Aid 2006) *
10-17 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom #
10-18 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom #
10-19 San Francisco, CA - Warfield Theater #
10-21 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern #
10-22 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theater #
10-24 Austin, TX - Stubb's #
10-25 Dallas, TX - Gypsy Ballroom #
10-26 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues #
10-27 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle #
10-29 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club #
10-30 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club #
10-31 Northampton, MA - Calvin Theater #
11-01 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory #
11-03 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom $
11-04 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater $
11-05 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis $
11-04 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus $
11-07 Pontiac, MI - Clutch Cargo $
11-09 Cleveland, OH - Agora Theater $
11-10 Columbus, OH - Lifestyle Communities Pavilion $
11-11 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theater $
11-12 Minneapolis, MI - First Avenue $
11-14 Denver, CO - Paramount Theater $
11-16 Missoula, MT - Wilma Theater $
11-17 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theater $
11-18 Vancouver, B.C. - Commodore Ballroom $

* with Violent Femmes, Cake
# with Lavender Diamond
$ with Alasdair Roberts

In bold are two shows for which I will most definitely be in attendance. Should I have some money to waste and vacation days to spend, I’ll probably relive my freewheeling youth and catch those Ohio shows as well.

PS—how much do I hate you, Salem, Oregon? The Decemberists and The Violent Femmes? So completely unfair.

Labels: , ,

annamaria at 1:33 PM

4 spoke

4 Comments

at Monday, July 24, 2006 2:58:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently Mr. Meloy isn't too happy about the track being played on radio as it's only a half-finished version of the song. I guess the guy who played it didn't realise the show was streaming on the interwebs or something?

Just thought I'd let you know! :)

 
at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:23:00 AM Blogger Kurt said...

Sweet. I have finally been given useful knowledge ahead of time! Monday night, my sister-in-law mentions that Los Lonely Boys had played a free show Friday night in Addison. Addison is next to Carrollton - a five mile trip. Thanks, Hilda. She thought is was too hot and that I wouldn't have been interested.
How can someone that lives under a rock ever learn anything if not from the Internet. Thank you so much, Al Gore!

 
at Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:17:00 PM Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

DC, only an hour and a half from SMCM, while school is in session - hmmm, I wonder if I'll see my son there?

 
at Monday, July 31, 2006 12:12:00 PM Blogger Kurt said...

not if he sees you first......

 

Post a Comment