10.21.2005

Friday Random Ten

Laura is so dreamy


I need to vent, and this seems as good a place as any. As you know, I had surgery on Monday, and yet I dragged my ass to work on Tuesday because I couldn't deal with the fact that I took time off and there was shit to be done, and my mother's hovering was driving me crazy. I have a co-worker, however, who lacks a similar work ethic. Allow me to explain, first of all, that I use the term co-worker loosely, as "co" implies peer, and "worker" implies that one actually gets their ass to the office on a regular basis. "Co-worker" is known around the office (unbeknownst to her, of course) as Psycho, due to her tendency to interrupt any and all conversations by demanding to know if we are talking about her. Perhaps this doesn't make her crazy, as nine times out of ten we actually are talking about her. She also gets angry when two or more people from the office go to lunch together, and don't issue her an invitation. Psycho failed to show up to work yesterday and today because she, and I quote, "has a tummy ache." In the year that she has been working at this office, she hasn't once cashed a full 80-hour paycheck.

I had fucking surgery. There are stitches in my tit, and the drugs have worn off. I'm sore and I'm cranky and I'm at work.

So, any advice as to how to deal with Psycho co-workers would be much appreciated, as I'm afraid the next time I see her I'm going to clock her. And my biggest fear is that none of my other co-workers will stop me!

Alright, enough venting, time for some music. Very indie-rock-centric again this week, with the exception of the fabulous Sam Cooke. I also had to severely edit the list this week, since I went on a Decemberists downloading spree, and every other song was one of theirs. Here you go:

  1. Jacqueline - Franz Ferdinand
  2. Another Saturday Night - Sam Cooke
  3. Happy Birthday - Clem Snide
  4. Odalisque - The Decemberists
  5. Changes Are No Good - The Stills
  6. Your Misfortune - Mike Doughty
  7. Indoor Fireworks - Laura Cantrell
  8. Your Cover's Blown - Belle and Sebastian
  9. Puzzle - Lou Barlow
  10. Cripple and the Starfish - Antony and the Johnsons

Your turn!

Labels:

annamaria at 9:36 AM

6 spoke

6 Comments

at Friday, October 21, 2005 11:22:00 AM Blogger Dane meets Simone said...

LOL. Great post. I too was wondering about little Ms Jen Jones, especially because I recall her having "a tummy ache" or two back in our AMG days.

Reading about Psycho's schedule also made me think "maybe i could work there!" Then I thought no, Annamaria would hate me and that would suck.

I'll just keep reading the blog instead. And waiting for you know who to return.

 
at Friday, October 21, 2005 12:22:00 PM Blogger Kurt said...

annamaria, I have been so glad to see you back and fiesty this week!
My wife also deals with "less than dedicated" co-workers, but they lack the annoying paranoia of your girl. I (in a guy, fix-it way) tell her to ignore it and take comfort in the satisfaction of doing her job well. Then, I commiserate with her and listen to the stories (in a girly sort of way).
Here's my list:
1- Nanci Griffith - The Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
2- Eagles - Hotel Calif.
3- James McMurtry - Late Norther
4- Frank Sinatra - Goody, Goody
5- Rock n Roll Worship Circus - Gift of Cool
6- Phil Ochs - When I'm Gone
7- Modern Day John - Autumn
8- Steely Dan - Deacon Blues
9- Downhere - Starspin
10- Dave Mathews Band - Drive In, Drive Out
Finally, NPR had a piece on Antony & the Johnsons this week. It made me feel good, because I knew about them from FRT! Then he was on Letterman the other night. Thanks to BOMT and Webjay for helping me get cool (not!)
I miss jen too.

 
at Friday, October 21, 2005 12:59:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny! I just picked up the new Laura Cantrell CD at the library today!


1) Silver Jews - How Can I Love You (If You Won't Lie Down)
2) The Howling Hex - Apache Energy Plan
3) Metric - Glass Ceiling
4) Feist - Let It Die
5) The Hold Steady - Stevie Nix
6) Black Mountain - Modern Music
7) Laura Veirs - Fire Snakes
8) Animal Collective - Grass
9) Deerhoof - Ditties Of No Tone
10) Flotation Toy Warning - Fire Engine On Fire Pt. I

 
at Friday, October 21, 2005 5:34:00 PM Blogger ID said...

Here's a last second FRT throw up...


10. Secret Heart - Feist
9. The Blue Mask - Lou Reed
8. Dead Presidents - Jay-Z
7. Unconcious - AML
6. Close to Me - The Cure
5. Solution - ILS & Solo
4. Broken Face - The Pixies
3. Crush on You - Lil' Kim
2. Superman's Dead - Our Lady Peace
1. He Miss Road - Fela Kuti

 
at Monday, October 24, 2005 8:48:00 AM Blogger annamaria said...

Do you know that damn woman didn't show up for work again today? Kerri, you still looking for a job? :)

 
at Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:51:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang it people- why arent you giving Annamaria advice on how to deal with the crazy woman- i have a crazy woman at my office, who makes my job HELL, and i was hoping for some good advice in here. HELP!!!

 

Post a Comment