1.13.2006

Friday Random Ten

homoprop

I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t seen Brokeback Mountain yet. I feel as if I have failed in my duties as a member of the Vast Homoabortionist Conspiracy™ by putting off seeing this important film for so long. After all, with the way that the fundies are talking about it, the movie is like a training manual for liberalism and homosexual activism. I’ll make every attempt to see it this weekend, and hopefully reinstate my fag hag credentials; since Queer as Folk went off the air, I’ve been missing my weekly missives from the homo-front.

So, in honor of Brokeback Mountain, and the insanity it has inspired among the fundies, Rich and I coined the term homoprop. Like agitprop, homoprop art seeks to fundamentally alter public perception by such diabolical means as portraying gay men and women as human beings capable of leading full and productive lives, and thus being deserving of respect and basic human rights. Any mention of gay men and women in love, in loving relationships, and/or having anything remotely resembling a sex life—particularly if references to their sex lives are in the context of said loving relationship and not in the back of a seedy bar all hopped up on meth—is evidence of a pro-homo bias and an insidious use of homoprop, with the intent to destroy the American family, make the baby Jesus cry and...um...kill puppies.

So in honor of our new terminology, allow me to present the Friday Random Ten, Homoprop Edition:

  1. Guns Before Butter - Gang of Four
  2. Cinematic - Erin McKeown
  3. We’re All in this Together - Ben Lee
  4. Dead Womb - Death From Above 1979
  5. This is Hardcore - Pulp
  6. My Only Friend - The Magnetic Fields
  7. Me & Mia - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
  8. Jackie - Scott Walker
  9. Talking in the Dark - Elvis Costello
  10. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott Heron

And a bonus I’m Going to See Colin Meloy in Eight Days track: Southern Girls (live)

Labels:

annamaria at 7:21 AM

3 spoke

3 Comments

at Friday, January 13, 2006 9:46:00 AM Blogger Kurt said...

Sometimes a list is just a list...
1-Friend of The Devil - Jerry Garcia & Dave Grisman
2-Kill The Power - Snowden
3-El Gustito - Linda Rondstadt
4-Me & My Uncle - Grateful Dead
5-All By Myself - Jerry Garcia
6-Walk On - John Hiatt
7-I Believe in You - Neil Young
8-Rosita De Olivo - Los Tigres Del Norte
9-Jim Dandy - Black Oak Arkansas
10-Get This Party Started - Pink

My bonus is a new artist to check out - Matt Morrow is one of my daughter's housemates. He is a budding singer/songwriter in the style of Patty Griffin, Greg Brown, Guy Clark, etc. Please check him out.

 
at Friday, January 13, 2006 2:15:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props on the homoprop! (Although I did note that only two of the people in your random 10 are homosexuals. Why must you discriminate against the gays! HUH??) ;)

Aaaanyway...

1) Feist - The Mast
2) Kings Of Convenience - The Build-Up
3) Camera Obscura - I Love My Jean
4) Jens Lekman - Black Cab
5) Final Fantasy - This Is The Dream Of Win & Regine
6) Gentleman Reg - Give Me A Chance To Fall
7) The Hidden Cameras - Music Is My Boyfriend
8) Mirah - Cold Cold Water
9) Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin - House Fire
10) Voxtrot - Raised By Wolves

 
at Friday, January 13, 2006 2:24:00 PM Blogger annamaria said...

Well, Rich, since homosexuals comprise roughly ten percent of the population, my FRT is a masterful example of homoprop; it makes the prevelance of homosexuality seem more widespread, but not so much as to induce homopanic (see Fred Phelps). By slowly and incrementally introducing straight society to gay men and women, homoprop will inure them to the homothreat and pave the way for the final homorevolution. It's an ingeneous plan.

Oh, and how fucking good is that Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin track?

 

Post a Comment