2.24.2006

Friday Random Ten



That up there is the cover of the latest by Magnetic Fields frontman Stephin Merritt, and based on the cover alone, I cannot wait to buy this album. Although I'm still trying to decide if the new song "What a Fucking Lovely Day!" could possibly surpass Merritt's classic "How Fucking Romantic." We'll have to wait until March 14th to find out.

So, in honor of Stephin's upcoming release, here's my favorite Magnetic Fields song just for you: When My Boy Walks Down the Street (Funtime OK) And I swear my love of this song has nothing whatsoever to do with its placement in one my favorite Queer as Folk scenes--it's just a coincidence!

Now that my fangirl moment is out of the way--here's my Friday Random Ten!

  1. There's No Fucking Rules Dude - !!!
  2. The War Criminal Rises & Speaks - Okkervil River
  3. Technicolor Girls - Death Cab for Cutie
  4. Kiss Me Like You Mean It - Magnetic Fields
  5. Blue Monday - New Order
  6. Waiting for the End of the World - Elvis Costello
  7. Magic - Ben Folds Five
  8. Sick of Goodbyes - Sparklehorse
  9. Youth Decay - Sleater Kinney
  10. I Have No Sister - Oh No! Oh My!
Bonus Track! Postcards from Italy - Beirut (GvB) This is seriously my new favorite song. So good!

Your turn!

Oh, and before I forget, You Ain't No Picasso has an interview with Eef Barzeley. Check it out! This is the one time when I won't be upset if you navigate away from this page, since there are far too many exclamation points for my liking--I'm supposed to be a serious blogger, damnit!

Labels:

annamaria at 7:56 AM

3 spoke

3 Comments

at Friday, February 24, 2006 10:32:00 AM Blogger Kurt said...

Happy Friday!
Here's my random list:
1 Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up
2 Jimmy Lafave - Early Summer Rain
3 Jerry Garcia - Mississippi Moon
4 Bjork - Verandi
5 Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Vix 9
6 Los Lobos - Volver Volver
7 Lucinda Williams & David Crosby - Return of the Grievous Angel
8 Lyle Lovett - Give Me Back My Heart
9 Audio Adrenaline - You Still Amaze Me
10 Patty Griffin - Reprise

My bonus info for you today is 2 new awesome sites to explore and expand your musical horizons -
Liveplasma will map artists in a way that shows similar artists in style. You can lose some time here easily!
Pandora is a great service for listening and finding new music. Give them an artist to start with (say, The Decemberists) and they will begin streaming songs that are close in style, character and musicality. Absolutely incredible site.

 
at Friday, February 24, 2006 12:58:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I saw that guy on the Stephin Merritt album cover wrestling The Great Muta last night.

Anyway!

1) The Geraldine Fibbers Yoo Doo Right
2) Tiger Lou - Oh Horatio
3) Against Me! - Don't Lose Touch
4) The Blow - Come On Petunia
5) Jackie-O Motherfucker - Hey! Mr. Sky
6) Charlemagne - Your Scars
7) Bom Bom - Pop I Kras
8) The Knife - Like A Pen
9) MF Doom feat. MC Paul Barman - Hot Guacamole
10) El Perro Del Mar - God Knows (You've Got To Give To Get)

 
at Friday, February 24, 2006 4:50:00 PM Blogger ID said...

Here's to the lack of fresh produce in the 313...

10. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
9.?Y Tu Que Has Hecho? - Buena Vista Social Club
8. Five Against One - The Doors
7. Numbers - Kraftwerk
6. Buggin' Out - ATCQ
5. Vapour Trails - The Tragically Hip
4. Can't U See? - ID
3. Your Love - Frankie Knuckles
2 Down & Out - Cam'Ron feat. Kanye West
1. Let's Go Crazy - Prince

 

Post a Comment