11.18.2005

Friday Random Ten

Smoosh


A few months ago I wrote about the fabulous Willie Mae Rock and Roll Camp for Girls, and at the time I thought it was such an amazing project: to take young girls and instill in them not only the confidence but the skills to be musicians and performers. I thought then, and still do, that even if none of these girls ever became the next Sleater-Kinney or Le Tigre, at least they were told in their formative early-teen years that they have a voice that is worth hearing, and that their gender should never be an impediment to pursuing their dreams.

What I didn't know at the time is that the Willie Mae ethos was already staring to pay dividends: meet Smoosh. Thirteen-year-old Asya, and her eleven-year-old sister Chloe* write and perform all their own songs, and this isn't some Hanson-style pre-teen drivel folks. This shit is really good! So far, Smoosh has opened for Rilo Kiley, Cat Power, Mates of State, Sleater-Kinney, Death Cab for Cutie (Jason McGerr produced their new album) and Pearl Jam. Not bad for a couple of kids! So, check out the Smoosh song in the random ten, and the bonus track below:


  1. Rad - Smoosh
  2. New Kicks - Le Tigre
  3. All the Money or the Simple Life Honey - The Dandy Warhols
  4. Dear Catastrophe Waitress - Belle and Sebastian
  5. Borderline - Chris Mills
  6. Smokers - Old 97's
  7. Little Dawn - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
  8. Janie Jones - The Clash
  9. Roses - The Magnetic Fields
  10. Wicked - Willard Grant Conspiracy
  11. bonus track: It's Cold - Smoosh

Your turn!

-----------------
*Ahhh! These kids are the same age as my nieces!

Labels:

annamaria at 8:21 AM

4 spoke

4 Comments

at Friday, November 18, 2005 9:38:00 AM Blogger ID said...

fucking work.

10. Turn of the Lights - Teddy P
9. Satellite - Dave Matthews Band
8. Terra Unfirma - Tommy Guerrero
7. Telephone Line - ELO
6. I Love Her - The Redwalls
5. Beware of the Boys - Punjabi MC
4. Born to Choose - The Mekons
3. Check It Out - Beastie Boys
2. I Used to Love H.E.R - Common Sense
1. Rock Against Ass - Turbonegro

**Coolest moment of the morning: I was listening to music way too loud on the L this morning, "Passin' Me By" by the Pharcyde was on, and I open my eyes to see a business man silently singing along. Hot.

 
at Friday, November 18, 2005 9:42:00 AM Blogger annamaria said...

Oh, I know they are old news...I'm every bit as much of an indie rock snob as you are! This is just the first time they've showed up on my random ten, and I needed to gush! :)

 
at Friday, November 18, 2005 9:49:00 AM Blogger Kurt said...

I'll give 'em a listen but I will probably have a hard time with it if Smoosh is singing about money ills, dead-end jobs or relationship woes -
(He loved me until third period
Then she bought him a smoothie

Sorry. Cynical old man syndrome sometimes sneaks out....
I finally tried to make a RFT with iTunes. These are all from my computer...
1)Audio Adrenaline - Ocean Floor
2)Bloc Party - Tulips
3)Gram Parsons - She
4)Joan Sebastian - Recuerdome Bonito
5)Keb'Mo' - Don't Try to Explain
6)Paquita La del Barrio - Caricias Ajenas
7)Tom Rush - No Regrets
8)Vicente Fernandez - Amor y Olvido
9)Grateful Dead - Dark Star (Jan 1970 live show)
10)Scarecrow Collection - Texas (recorded live in Burlington, VT Feb 5, 2005)*
*Taken from the Live Music archive site. This site is worth a visit.

 
at Friday, November 18, 2005 3:12:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some Smoosh songs. They're quite enjoyable!

1) Tim Hardin - Black Sheep Boy
2) Bettye LaVette - Let Me Down Easy
3) Doveman - Honey
4) Okkervil River - Disfigured Cowboy
5) Two Gallants - Nothing To You
6) The Decemberists - We Both Go Down Together
7) Squeeze - Some Fantastic Place
8) Cardinal - If You Believe In Christmas Trees
9) Keren Ann - Not Going Anywhere
10) The Raveonettes - Ode To L.A.

 

Post a Comment